Update by R.T. Fitch
Rumors and Gossip May Cloud Critical FactsBeing both an Equine Advocate and a responsible horse owner I cannot help but keep an eye on the spreading news story regarding the outbreak of Equine Herpes Virus that occurred in Utah last week. Since that time there have been reports from the bulk of the western states, including Texas, and even up into Canada of infected horses being diagnosed but one may wonder if the news media may be driving this alleged “outbreak” harder than the reality of the situation.
The virus has always been around, this is nothing new and the situation most certainly needs to be monitored and watched closely but I am beginning to detect a bit of hysteria in the air and slipping off over the edge will do the horses no justice what so ever.
So let’s watch, listen and stay in touch so that we can ensure that our equine charges will be healthy, safe and secure for many years into the future.
As an update we have included a listing of the latest, overnight breaking stories on the issue:
- Equine herpes leads to cancellation of horse shows ()
- Horse virus fears cancel children’s rodeo (cbc.ca)
- 1 confirmed horse herpes case in Washington (thenewstribune.com)
- Virus alert (artandhorseslauraleigh.wordpress.com)
- Equine Herpes Virus-1 Outbreak Shutting Down Horse Shows In Western USA And Canada (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Highly contagious horse virus puts Kitsap equestrians on alert (pnwlocalnews.com)
- Horses pulling out of Armed Forces Day parade (kitsapsun.com)
- Horse being treated for equine herpesvirus in Snohomish (heraldnet.com)