Thursday, November 10, 2011

Report from Wild Horse “Ground Zero”

Straight from the Horse's Heart

Update by Laura Leigh ~ VP of Wild Horse Freedom Federation

Clog the BLM FAXs

Little ones at High Rock holding, taken from their home on the range and split up from their families all in the same day ~ photo by Laura Leigh
Sat with the horses at PVC for a few minutes this afternoon… Triple B horses moving out to Fallon, long-term and adoption “events as the facility prepares to take in Calico horses.
There is a “rumor” at the moment that BLM in Cedarville may have changed plans about releasing horses at High Rock. If they do release at High Rock I promise to be there and document the individuals.
My thoughts, however, go a bit further and I could use your help.
I know BLM is reading this blog so they are going to know I have asked for your help as well as what I am asking for… as they will also get my request in writing.
AS my “gut” hurt so bad as they announced they would do no release from High Rock until after Calico (based on quota reached) I really feel that we need a greater ability to keep tabs on the wild horses. The “clean sweep” planning that has BLM wiping one side of the state last winter and now this side… has me extremely fearful of the genetic bankruptcy as well as the survival probability as these disruptions occur when horses need family the most, the winter.
If they were holding horses and releasing after Calico (but not based on quota captured at Calico) that would be in line with the manner in which the public must address these events as uniques. But to base it on the quota sees them as conjoined events. They can’t have it both ways as it suits an agenda.
But I am very worried about the population that will be left out there… extremely worried.
I am asking that you write to BLM here:
FAX :  530-279-2171 attention Allen Bollschweiler
Sample request letter:
Mr. Bollschweiller,
I am writing in reference to the current BLM roundup operation in the High Rock Complex.
As the Environmental Assessment calls for the release of animals to reach low AML at the conclusion of operation I request the following:
1. Horses be branded prior to release.
This will serve several purposes.
It will make horses from this operation visually identifiable. This will ensure that as horses are released in an area bordering the next roundup operation, that they are not recaptured in the next operation. These horses have been disrupted and after release may flee the immediate area causing them to move into the next area of operation. It will also facilitate, by visual identification, observations of movement within the complex and adjoining areas. This information is vital in comprehending the best way to manage these animals and has been lacking in the past.
2. That an effort be made to reunite family bands for release.
Many of the groups are identifiable through photographs taken during the operation. By making the attempt to keep family groups together, and branding prior to release, further information can be gained about the efficiency of, and impact to, family structure from the proposed use of chemical birth control.
Thank you for your consideration,
you have to add your contact info ….
It takes a bit to digest what you see and get it into context… and then make the next move… video tomorrow as several things took priority today.

No comments:

Post a Comment