Thursday, June 2, 2011

Upsetting News About Havasupai

Dear Animal advocates,

Please read the comment I got on the blog below:

"I have just returned from a trip to the Havasupai.  The beauty of the area was maligned by the condition of animals and the pollution of the land. I can only fight so many battles so the the plight of the horses has taken the front step.  Upon arrival at the trailhead I found 2 starved  horses; one older, clearly hours from death and a yearling, not quite as bad.  Both evidently, without food or water for days. I gave them gave all the water I could spare.  The trailhead guard expressed sympathy and said to turn them loose.  I did.   Upon arrival in the canyon I found animals thin, but nothing as drastic.  I observed pack animals through the days.  I came to the conclusion that there were very experienced and humane packers who clearly took care of their animals and there were packers without conscience or consideration. Being a horse owner, I feel I have to speak up for the dire situation.  I  have  never been as deeply affected by wrongful situations as I have witnessed in the Havasupai.   I will never return. I will never recommend trips, only give testimony to the degradation. I am saddened.  What can I do to help?"

I replied there at the blog post.

http://arizona1-aahsbloggingupdates.blogspot.com/2009/09/urgent-horse-situation-in-havasupai.html#comment-216860350

We need to follow up on this. It was first reported to me two years ago.

I welcome ANY suggestions, actions we should take. This is deplorable and unacceptable.

Thanks. Please share everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment