Sunday, July 17, 2011

How YOU Can Help the Wild Horses and Burros

Straight from the Horse's Heart

Sunday Post by R.T. Fitch ~ President/Co-Founder of Wild Horse Freedom Federation

Every Single Advocate Plays a Vital Role

" Family Ties: The American Mustang" by Lee Mitchelson ~ Click on Image to vote and help the Wild Horses
Today is Sunday and as all of you regular readers know, we try to pull away from the bad and highlight the good.  Likewise, my lovely bride rarely asks me to highlight a topic but from halfway around the world she is politely asking me to speak up on how everyone is so very precious and important to our ultimate mission to gain equitable justice for our national icons, the “federally protected” wild horses and burros.
Terry mans the phone and responds to dozens of email inquiries as I travel about and one of the most pervasive questions that staunch animal welfare advocates, from around the world, ask is;
“How can I help?”
Folks, just being here is step one.  By reading and learning you garner a tremendous wealth of qualified and quantified opinions of, God help us, not only me but thousands of equine enthusiasts and animal welfare advocates from around the world.  On an average we log between 1,500 – 2,000 unique hits a day with a peak of over 5,000.  Not a big deal in the real world but considering the small niche that we occupy this sort of participation tremendous.  I am only the paperboy and you good people are the customer so when you comment you afford a worldwide audience a glance at how we think in our small corner of the globe.
Secondly, you don’t have to live in the western states to be pro-active in what we do, we live in Texas and there are no HMAs in our neck of the woods.  But a simple phone call, email or fax speaks volumes when we ask for your help in waking up our publicly funded legislative representatives in what we REALLY want and need in the way of change regarding the management or our wild horses and burros.  (Stay tuned as we are about to ask your help in replying to the EA that was released by the BLM on their proposed “zeroing out” of North Piceance herd which we have been legally fighting over for the past year.)
Thirdly, if you can travel to a protest, stampede, conference, please do so.  We know that money is tight but for myself I feel that if I do not do anything else with my life but help and aide in saving our wild horses and burros for future generations then I have done what I was placed on this world to do.  I am elated to report that the West Douglas herd is still running free because of the efforts of dozens of people over the years and then the recent intervention of our Wild Horse Freedom Federation and esteemed plaintiffs.  Sadly, if this is ALL I accomplish in my life then I can lay my head down on my death bed knowing that 120+ horses are running free due to our efforts, my mission would be complete.  But being a Type A personality that is not enough, we need to set the record straight across the board.  So I am asking you, and me, to witness for the horses in any physical way possible.  If you can do it, your companionship would be greatly appreciated at all publicized events.
And finally, there are a multiple of FREE ways that you can help the wild horses and please allow me to give you an example or two.
We are blessed with many artsy-craftsy sort of folks in the wild horse advocacy.  For crying out loud WHFF has two authors, two award winning photojournalists and two artists on our Board of Directors.  Likewise our Advisory board is peppered with professionals like Emmy award winning cinematographer Ginger Kathrens, producer/director James Klienart, award winning equine photographers Pam Nickoles and Carol Walker.  But besides these good folks donating their time we, also, have other artists donating their work to help the wild ones.
Right now, world renowned wild horse artist Lee Mitchelson has a stunning wild horse painting entered in an online competition.  By simply clicking (HERE) and voting for Lee’s beautiful painting you have moved one step closer to helping the wild ones, for free.  Currently she is donating funds to help the Fallon horses formerly what was once the Calico herd.  She had been in contact with Terry and has expressed an interest in supporting WHFF so let’s pile on and help her help the wild ones. The original painting is still for sale so, if you are interested in owning an original Lee Mitchelson painting, please contact her directly at: Lee Mitchelson.
Likewise, besides sending your hard earned cash to our Wild Horse Legal Fund to pay our legal staff you can, again, for FREE, help us by using GoodSearch as your main search engine, Click (HERE).  The search engine is driven by Yahoo but for every search that you conduct, if you are like me it is several dozen a day, one penny will be donated to the Wild Horse Freedom Federation’s legal fund.  That may not sound like much but pennies DO add up and if you take into consideration that we have almost 5,000 friends and fans on FaceBook, alone, it quickly becomes a true source of income.  Likewise, click (HERE) to learn about how a portion of your online shopping, at no expense to you, can be donated to the WHFF’s legal fund.  How flipping simple is that?  I just LOVE technology.
So in review; you ALL are a very important and integral cog in the wheel of saving the wild horses of the United States of America.  We all do what we can do, when we can do it and extend ourselves as far as we can physically and fiscally allow ourselves to go.  I consider each and every single advocate to be a very special and bright light glowing in a sea political of darkness…and if you simply mention our cause to  your family and friends then you are a Superstar in my book and I love you from the bottom of my heart.
May the “Force of the Horse©” be with each and every one of my very special friends and associates…I am so proud to know you.

No comments:

Post a Comment